2020 Annual Awards Ceremony
Watch the full event here!
On September 24, we had the privilege of honoring the winners of the 2020 WIIT Annual Awards. If you missed our virtual ceremony, you can catch it here. The event featured video congratulations from Representative Rick Larsen, WTO negotiators from around the world, and Canada’s Ambassador to the US. The acceptance remarks from our awardees were heartfelt and inspirational - we encourage you to take a listen and drop them a note of congratulations. In between awards, we were treated to cooking demos from the Embassies of China and Thailand as well as a special dessert from guest chef Angela Ellard. Thanks to our wonderful Special Events chairs, Kim Yaeger and Chynna Hawes, for assembling a memorable event.
Thank you to all of our event sponsors for their support of the event, and to our corporate member organizations who support our trade talks and other events through the entire year.
Congratulations to this year's honorees! These inspiring women spoke about their journeys in trade with sincerity, honesty, warmth and humor. We were honored to be able to recognize so many outstanding leaders in trade, and to celebrate this night as our shared community of women working trade.
|Business Legacy Award
|Member of the Year Award
Carrie Goodge O'Brien
|Emerging Leader Award
Government Service Award
Sharon Bomer Lauritsen
|Lifetime Achievement Award
Embassy Spotlight Recipes
Braised fried gluten balls stuffed with meat
By Chef Lai Jun
The Chinese Embassy, Washington DC
- Mix 300 grams ground pork with 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp sugar, ½ tsp chicken stock powder, 1.5 tbsp dark soy sauce, ½ tsp white pepper, half an egg white, 1 tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine, ¼ cup water
- Add minced green scallions (1/4 cup) and minced ginger (1/4 cup), mix thoroughly
- Poke a small hole in the gluten ball, stuff with the meat filling
- Heat 1 ½ cups water in a wok, add ¼ cup sliced ginger and ¼ cup sliced scallions
- Add 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp white pepper
- Add the gluten balls and bok choy, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, turn up the heat to reduce the sauce. Add 1 tbsp oyster sauce, ½ tsp chicken stock powder and serve with boiled bok choy
Egg Wrapped Pad Thai
By Chef Suwan
The Royal Thai Embassy Washington, DC
- Soak noodles in room temp water.
- Turn heat to medium, add cooking oil
- Once oil is hot add red onions, sauté until yellow
- Add palm sugar, fish sauce, and tamarind sauce, mix well and cook for 10 minutes before resting
- Add oil to clean wok, once hot add the shrimp
- Once shrimp is cooked, add eggs, sauté
- Add the soaked noodles and mix. Mix in sauce
- Add pickled turnip, bean sprouts, chives, and ground peanuts. Mix thoroughly and remove from heat.
- To make the egg wrap, beat an egg in a bowl. Add to a medium hot pan with cooking oil. Spin pan around to spread egg to a thin sheet.
- Once egg is cooked turn the heat down.
- Put the egg into a bowl, add Pad Thai noodles to center, wrap and serve.
By Chef Angela Ellard
- Combine the butter and sugar in a pan or skillet.
- Place the pan over low heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Place the bananas in the pan.
- When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum.
- Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum.
- When the flames subside, lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of ice cream.
- Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the ice cream and serve immediately.